What is Fibreglass Roofing?
Fibreglass roofing is structured from a slim glass fibre including silica, which is then blended together to make it strong. Once laid, a durable topcoat is rolled over the top creating a fully sealed surface and, if it’s installed correctly by a fibreglass roofing specialist like Giant Roofing, water cannot penetrate. Fibreglass roofing in Cornwall is perhaps so common because it is the material of choice for the hulls sailing boats and yachts, meaning that it is tough and resilient against Cornwall’s salty sea air.
Why Choose Fibreglass Roofing?
Adoption of fibreglass roofing was hindered in the early days by poor fibreglass roof installation practices, but over the past 10 years interest in GRP fibreglass roofs have really taken off. Fibreglass roofing is a great choice for flat roofs in Cornwall and Devon for many reasons, as listed below:
- Fibreglass roofing is very lightweight compared to other roofing systems. Metal roofs and slate roofs are much heavier so a fibreglass roofing system is a good choice for smaller roofing projects and projects where crane access is impossible (fibreglass roofs are more easily lifted in by human hands!)
- Fibreglass flat roofing comes with a guaranteed warranty of 20 years but its life expectancy is in excess of 40 years if properly maintained by a fibreglass roofing specialist
- If you want an elegant-looking flat roof GRP roofing is a great option. Grey is the most commonly used colour and gives your new roof a lead-effect which adds character to your roof!
- Flat roofs made with fibreglass are very good for withholding regular footfall, which can be useful if you plan to use your flat roof for access to first floor windows and gutters
- Pretty much invincible against all forms of abuse including knife cuts and vandalism
Metrodeck Fibreglass Roofing Systems
Here at Giant Roofing we always use Metrodeck; a proven and permanent GRP roofing solution which outperforms other flat roof coverings. Metrodeck is the professional choice for GRP roofing and comes with a 20 year guarantee directly from the manufacturer, along with a workmanship guarantee that your roof will be free from any leakages for at least 20 years. Metrodeck roofing systems can be applied to any flat roof, any size, any configuration and can be installed without expensive specialist tools. The completed monolithic (seamless) membrane is extremely hard-wearing, resisting UV, heat, weathering and foot traffic, ideal for balconies or walkways.
If you would like to know more about fibreglass roofing in Cornwall and would like Giant Roofing to quote you or offer a free consultation, please just get in touch and one of our fibreglass roofing specialists in Cornwall will be more than happy to help!